Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Daddy, What's a Metric Tensor?

I found out about a blog that I've been devouring for the past couple of days.  One of the posts talked about how the Lord has a sense of humor and that some of the followers of Christ could loosen up a bit.  I believe this to be true on both counts.  While we should never treat sacred things lightly or irreverently, much of what happens to us can be looked at with an eye of humor.  I find that humor is the best way for me to keep my perspective about my daily happenings, and especially the ones that are more frustrating.  I believe that Heavenly Father and Jesus are very patient with us as we make mistakes, and learn and grow from them.  Sometimes I think I can even feel the humor coming from the other side of the veil as the watch me trying to figure things out, much like I get a kick out of watching my children do the same.  The following story was shared in the comments section of the blog I was reading, and I had to pass it along.  In trying to give credit or get permission to post it, it became obvious that the person who posted it was not the person to whom it happened, and I was unable to find the original source.  Enjoy!



"When I was in college many years ago, I was working on a degree in Math and Physics. My wife was also working on a math degree too and we have conversations about what we were learning. I'd share with here all the great things I was learning about the cosmos and the structure of the universe as our 2 year old son Joshua would listen with curiosity. One night I remember talking to my wife about metric tensors and the mathematics of general relativity.

Late one night, after a great deal of study and what I thought was "brain sweat" I went out onto our porch and began praying to Heavenly Father (while standing gazing into the starry night) to reveal the mysteries and the structure of the universe. I pleaded with him that I had "studied it out in my mind" and was now ready to know the truth.

I was surprised as I prayed and prayed and only found silence. I began pleading the the Lord "why the silence?" I could handle it.... I was ready to understand....so I thought... at some point late into my prayers my little two year old son started tugging at my pant leg saying "Daddy daddy, what's a metric tensor?" I turned to him and looking down said "Not now Joshua, I'm praying".... then again I heard him say "Daddy daddy, what's a metric tensor?"

At this point I looked down at him.... and remember my total silence as I looked at him wondering how in the world I was going to explain what a metric tensor was to a two year old... I stood for several moments in total silence looking and smiling at my curious little son....when the light finally went on in my mind, I chuckled a little.... heavenly Father must be looking at me with the same silence (and maybe even an little smile) wondering how He could explain the structure of the universe to this man child praying to Him..... I remember finishing my prayer with "oh......thank you Heavenly Father for being patient and helping me better understand."

I still think about those questions after many years of study and prayer....I hope to be ready for those answers (Heaven willing) in 30,000 years-If I'm lucky... :)

By the way, my son Joshua is now 38... I don't he really cares what a metric tensor is these days. :) "

No comments: