Monday, December 27, 2010

More Gifts. . .

I continue to read my Kindle version (PC Version, don't yet have the real thing) of One Thousand Gifts, and it continues to inspire to look for gratitude moments.  It is truly one of the most amazing books I have ever read.

24. A 16-year-old son's head on my shoulder as we look at YouTube videos together.
25. A kitchen drawer with the front replaced several years after it fell off.
26.  The husband who, when I said if he'd like to do something for me, he could fix that drawer, had it fixed and back in place in 24 hours (and it only took so long because we were waiting for the glue to dry)
27. Being blessed to be able to play the organ for church without making too many mistakes.
28. A spirit-filled sacrament meeting in which three of my friends spoke and bore humble testimony of Christ.
29. Children's laughter.
30. A working dishwasher.
31. Being able to play the piano well enough to sing songs I like.
32. Being able to play the guitar enough to enjoy it.
33. A mother who taught me to can peaches.  I didn't want to learn, really, but one day, when I was about 16, she walked out the door and told me there was a basket of peaches in the kitchen and that she wanted me to have them canned up when she got home.  I just looked at her like she was crazy, since I'd never done it by myself before.  I told her I didn't know how, figuring that ought to get me off the hook, but she pointed me toward the cookbooks and left.  So I looked it up, and between that, and remembering some from having helped her in times past, I set to work.  By the time she got back I had 7 bottles of peaches canned, and all of them sealed.  From then on, I've always known that if I could find the instructions, I could probably find out pretty much anything I would need to know, and that knowledge has served me well these many years.
34. Carpeted floors.
35. Uncarpeted kitchen and bathroooms.
36. Refrigerators.
37. Freezers.
38. Central heating.
39. Air conditioning.
40. MP3 players.
41. Animals, especially dolphins.
42. I'm grateful to have been able to visit Hawaii.  Not being much of a world traveler, I never really expected to be able to go there, but since being married I've had the chance a couple of times, and I'm happy to have been able to have that peaceful experience.  It's a nice place to get away to for a little while.
43. I am thankful to have been blessed with 8 healthy children, and also for two more who are waiting for us on the other side.
44. Clean drinking water.
45. Running water right in my kitchen.
46. Linoleum.  Oh, wait I already said that one.  With my memory, it's going to be hard not to repeat things here.  Instead of linoleum again (although I really am thankful for it), for #46, I'll say electric light bulbs. That, seriously, has got to be one of the best inventions ever, except when it makes it possible for me to stay up all hours of the night when I should be asleep.  Like now.
47. A stove in my kitchen, so I don't have to build a fire every time I want to heat some food.
48. Trees.
49. Tulips.
50. The scriptures.

No comments: