Saturday, November 20, 2010

Getting Ready for Christmas

     

I'm trying some new things for Christmas this year.  I started back in October reading Christmas stories to get myself in the mood.  For the past several years, I've gone into this holiday feeling like a bit of a Grinch or a Scrooge, because the closer we got to the holiday season, the more stressed I got, realizing that in a few months we were going to have to spend a lot of money on a lot more stuff to bring into our already over-stuffed house.  It almost gives me the shakes to think about it.  I decided that this year was going to be different, though, and I set about looking for ways to make it enjoyable for both my family and myself, and to help us enjoy the true spirit of the season.
I've never been one to be over-stressed with parties and decorating so I didn't have much to change in that area.  This year, though, I came up with a decorating theme that I can't wait to start on.  The idea came from a new book out by Emily Freeman, entitled "A Christ-Centered Christmas."  It's a variation on the advent books that many of us have used over the years, with a little devotional for each day of December until Christmas.  This idea uses the main characters of the Nativity: Mary, Joseph, the angel, shepherds, wise men, a lamb, and the baby Jesus as the focus of 7 devotionals.  She has a chapter on each character, and at the end of each chapter, there is a short devotional idea that can be used to present this piece to the nativity set, as well as an assignment (if they choose to do it) for them to do, or something for them to think about before the next devotional.  So you talk about the person, people, or animal, and then put it into the nativity scene.  I bought a Precious Moments Nativity on ebay for 1/2 price that will be the one we'll use for this.  I am clearing all the flat spaces in my living room, and I'm going to cover them with some burgundy velvety fabric, and then put nativity scenes around the room.  The top of the piano will be for the special one, which will be added during the month as we do the devotionals.
      We've also decided that we will not be spending a lot of money on gifts this year, but will save the money and take a trip next summer when our two missionaries come home.  We want to start building memories rather than add to the piles of clutter.
      Which brings up another thing I've already started on, and that is to work my way through the clutter in our house, with the goal of having it cleared out by the end of the year, or maybe even by Christmas, so we can start to enjoy living in the amount of space we have.  The family's help will be enlisted and it will be a gift we give to ourselves this year.
We will be talking about things we can do to celebrate Christ's birth in a way that might please Him.  It is, after all, His birthday, not ours.  The children in the family have a gift exchange and we'll be encouraging them to take the time to think about the person whose name they have and really try to come up with a gift from the heart that they would appreciate.  Maybe a book of service ideas that the giver could do for them.  Or really see what they like to do and find a gift that compliments their likes.  If the gift is to be purchased (which I am not encouraging) then the idea is to already know ahead of time what they want to give, rather than just go through the store browsing the shelves, just to pick something.  I really want to encourage us to make the gifts mean something.  I'll also be encouraging us to look for service opportunities in the neighborhood that no one has to know about  but us.  Maybe going around and picking up the trash, or shoveling snow, or whatever we can find that could be of help to someone.
      It's a lofty idea, but I've been talking about it little by little with my husband and the children, and they do seem open to it, even though it will mean that they don't get to make up Christmas lists and think about themselves all month.  This time of year should be a time of giving, not of taking, and that's what I'd like to encourage in my home.  Wish me luck! :)

No comments: